Alumna internacional na Universidade de Vigo

Incoming students

The Universidade de Vigo offers diverse possibilities to international incoming students, such as national and international exchange students, visiting students or full degree students:

National programmes


The Spanish Universities Exchange System (SICUE) permits students to study for a semester or a full year at another Spanish university, as a recognised period of study, in accordance with agreements signed. The call for applications is published in February each year.

The number of seats offered by the Universidade de Vigo within the framework of the SICUE programme, as well as the number and conditions of internships and final degree projects (TFG), are shown below:

For further information, contact:
+34 986 81 35 92


International programmes


Exchange students


If you wish to come to UVigo as an exchange student, you should first verify whether there is an exchange agreement between UVigo and your home university for your field of study. Your home university must then send us your nomination, confirming that you have been granted Erasmus or other international mobility programme studentship.

Application procedure

After receiving your nomination, the International Relations Office will check whether nomination is acceptable in accordance with the bilateral agreement. If accepted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with the link to an online application form which must be duly filled in and submitted, attaching the documents required.

Incoming mobility portal


Bachelor degree students

  • Identity card or passport. 
  • A letter issued by your home university confirming your status as a UVigo exchange student. 
  • European Health Card or private health insurance to cover the entire length of your exchange period. 

Master's or PhD students

  • Identity card or passport. 
  • A letter issued by your home university confirming your status as a UVigo exchange student. 
  • European Health Card or private health insurance to cover the entire length of your exchange period.
  • Updated transcript or degree certificate of your bachelor's studies that show you've passed a minimum of 180 ECTS credits.


Please comply with the deadline for applications, as late applications will not be accepted.

1st semester / fall semester or full academic year students: from 31st March to 18th June

2nd semester / spring semester students: from 31st August to 31st Octobre

The IRO will send you a welcome email with our digitally signed acceptance letter after receiving and checking your online application form and the attached documents.


Welcome days and Spanish level test

The new course starts in the first week of September which is when we will welcome all incoming international students starting a new stage with us.

Look out for event details on your campus and remember that you are also required to take the Spanish level test.

Download the Incoming student's handbook


The international students' exchange program office at the home university should fill in the following online form with information of each nominated student.

•    Nominations sent by email or post will not be accepted. 
•    Only nominations sent by a nominating International Relations Office or a nominating university staff member at the student's home university will be accepted.

Should you have any doubt with the online nomination form, do contact us at


Nomination dates

1st semester / fall semester or full academic year students: from 15th March to 26th May

2nd semester / spring semester students: from 1st August to 15th October

The International Relations Office will first check the nominations received to see if they are acceptable in accordance with the bilateral agreement and then send accepted students an e-mail with the instructions on how to fill in the online application form.

Download our information sheet

All UVigo faculties have their own academic coordinator, who is responsible for subject-specific matters. Please, contact to the academic coordinator of your faculty (the one where you are going to study most courses) for signature of the Learning Agreement and all related academic issues.

Learning Agreement and other academic issues

The Learning Agreement (LA) is the academic document that contains the equivalence of courses or credits you take abroad, that will then be recognized by your home institution.

  • Make sure that your Learning Agreement is signed by your home university and yourself before emailing it to the academic coordinator of your UVigo faculty or school
  • Please do not send the original version of the Learning Agreement (from your home university) by post or email to the International Relations Office.

Note: only the academic coordinators (from host and home institutions) are authorized to sign LAs.

Please take a look at our academic offer and complete your Learning Agreement with the chosen courses. You might also be interested in our academic offer in English, You might also be interested in our academic offer in English, for which you need to browse through the catalogue of subjects taught in this language filtered by academic year, semester, faculty, or school.

Go to course descriptions

The University also offers a program of English Friendly subjects. These are subjects taught in Spanish and/or Galician in the Universidade de Vigo's official degrees, where teachers are committed to:

  • Highlight the English Friendly nature in the course descriptions 
  • Translate the course descriptions into English 
  • Provide materials and references in English if requested by the international student 
  • Speak in English during tutorships when requested by the international student 
  • Design and write tests in English if requested by the international student.

English Friendly subjects

You should also read the information in the following links:

You must choose courses taught at the faculty or school indicated as "reference centre" in your acceptance letter. When choosing subjects, it is important that you check that they are taught in the period corresponding to your stay:

  • 1 C = 1st semester (from September to January)
  • 2 C = 2nd semester (from February to June)

You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application, after submitting the duly completed online application form.

Description of the rating system:

  • Distinction (10)
  • V. Good (9-9.9)
  • Good (7-8.9)
  • Pass (5-6.9)
  • Fail (0-4.9)
  • Not attended (Absent)
ECTS % of students successfully achieving the grade Description
A 10 EXCELLENT - outstanding performance with only minor errors
B 25 VERY GOOD - above the average standard but with some errors
C 30 GOOD - generally sound work with a number of notable errors
D 25 SATISFACTORY - fair but significant shortcomings
E 10 SUFFICIENT - performance meets the minimum criteria
FX - FAIL - some more work required before the credit can be awarded
F - FAIL - considerable further work is required



Doing an Erasmus+ traineeship abroad permits you to do a work experience placement, as part of your degree program.

If you wish to do an internship in one of UVigo's departments or laboratories, you should first reach an agreement with your tutor (traineeship coordinator) regarding the exact dates of your traineeship.

Each UVigo faculty has its own academic coordinator. Please, contact the coordinator in the faculty that best relates to your field of interest, to help you find a tutor.

The International Relations Office also offers internship opportunities. If interested, kindly contact us to study possibility on the proposed dates.

How to apply?

Once this agreement between you and your traineeship coordinator has been reached, you will need to provide the following documents, along with the online application form:

  • Copy of ID card / Passport
  • Learning Agreement for Traineeships duly filled in and signed by the student, the academic tutor in the student's home institution and the person responsible for the department or service at the Universidade de Vigo in which the internships are to take place. The exact dates of your stay period should be indicated (day/month/year - day/month/year). 
  • Proof of having contracted a valid insurance in Spain with health, accident and repatriation insurance cover in Spain.

You can submit your application at any time. There are no deadlines.


After receiving and checking your application and attached documentation, the International Relations Office (ORI) of the UVigo will send you a welcome email with an attached Acceptance Letter.


Visiting students

If your home university does not have an exchange agreement with the Universidade de Vigo and you would still like to study at UVigo for a term or a whole academic year, then you can do so by applying as a visiting international student.

This programme allows you to enrol in different courses without obtaining a degree certificate, but you will receive a Transcript of Records at the end of your stay. You can use the transcript to request validation of the courses taken at Uvigo, upon your return to the home university.

Tuition and admission fees

As a visiting international student, you will be paying:

  • UVigo's tuition fees according to the number of credits you have enroled for. These rates are established annually by the regional government (Xunta de Galicia). You must check the academic fees applicable in your case
  • Administration fees
  • An extra administration fee of 400 € for one semester or 800 € for the full academic year.

Note: Tuition and administration fees are paid in just the one payment at the beginning of the academic year.


Application process

Students should submit the following documents:

  • Application form: before fill in the form, please contact
  • Motivation letter in Spanish or Galician
  • Photocopy of valid ID card or passport 
  • Certificate stating Spanish or Galician language skills
  • Updated transcript of records for university studies 
  • Proof of purchasing a health insurance policy valid in Spain 
  • Authorisation from the home university


Application deadlines

  • For the whole academic year (September-July) or only the first term (September-January): before 31st May of the current year.
  • For the second term (February-July): before 15th October of the previous year.

The International Relations Office will notify the student if he/she is admitted as soon as the student is accepted at the centre where he/she wishes to enrol and will receive a Letter of Acceptance issued by the International Relations Office in order to apply for a visa.



Visiting students will be able to enrol for a maximum period of one academic year. They can do so for a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 60 ECTS credits.

Students can enrol for any of the courses offered at the UVigo. However, access to some courses may be restricted or even excluded due to their specific characteristics or because they are taught in small groups.

Student must have an adequate threshold study level equivalent to that required for registration at the courses they want to study.


General information

This is all the information you need to know for your stay at the Universidade de Vigo, in any modality.

UVigo is currently involved in digitalization of administrative processes related to the organization of international mobility, to facilitate/exchange academic data between students and partner universities.

This digitalization is carried out through the Erasmus Without Papers network, which in UVigo, is done through the MoveON App. All applications, acceptance, and qualification procedures for mobility vacancies, as well as the creation of a learning agreement, are done through this App.
You should access the mobility portal to start your registration as an UVigo Incoming Student.

Incoming mobility portal

 This is where you will find information about the different courses calendar.

This section provides you with the different accommodation options available for your stay at UVigo.

Accommodation options

The ESN Vigo association is also there to help you look for accommodation. Contact them by e-mail:

The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is one of the biggest interdisciplinary student associations in Europe. It was born on 16th October 1989, and legally registered in 1990, to support and develop student exchange.

The ESN has 520 sections and is present in 44 countries. The network is constantly evolving and expanding.

ESN stives to create a more mobile and flexible educational environment through collaboration and development of student exchange at different levels. It also provides an intercultural experience to those who cannot afford a period abroad ("internationalisation at home").

ESN International's headquarters are in Brussels, from where it develops ambitious projects such as the ESNSurvey on exchange students' rights or the ESNcard.

ESN Vigo was founded on November 5, 2009. In September 2010, it gradually commenced activity on the Pontevedra campus and two years later, at the end of 2012, it was launched on the Ourense campus, thus completing its presence in the three cities covered by the UVigo. 

Since then, ESN Vigo has continued to grow as an ever- closer (and increasing) family, with members from different generations, who work and strive to make exchange students feel at home.

Classes at UVigo are mainly taught in Spanish or Galician, according to the choice of the teacher responsible for the subject. Several subjects are also taught in English. There are other subjects called English Friendly that are taught in Spanish or Galician, but where the teacher provides content in English.

Students wishing to study at UVigo must have a good command of Spanish, Galician or English. In general, students should have a minimum level equivalent to B1 in Spanish to achieve good academic performance and a B2 in English for subjects taught in English. Our bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes are mainly taught in Spanish or Galician

Foreign students are required to purchase a valid medical insurance in Spain.

Students from the European Union can use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Students from the rest of the world must buy health insurance valid in Spain.

We recommend that all students buy international health insurance to include accidents, international health transfer, travel assistance, repatriation in case of accident or serious illness, death, etc.

UVigo currently has an agreement with the insurance company ONCAMPUS, which offers wide cover for international students at an affordable single fee payment. Those interested should directly contact the company through the Oncampus-estudia website (remember to select UVigo from among the options available).

Once in Spain, students from the European Union must go to a Seguridad Social health centre (see locations) with their European Health Insurance Card, where they will be assigned a general practitioner.

Prior to leaving home, students from non- European Union countries should request their insurance company for a list of valid hospitals and health centres in Spain. In these cases, students have to first pay for the health expenses incurred and subsequently request reimbursement from their insurance company.

The Spanish public health system does not cover medical expenses of citizens from countries outside the European Union

These are the addresses of the health centres and hospitals to go to.

Main hospitals and health care centres


Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Pontevedra
Rúa de Mourente s/n
36071 Pontevedra
+34 986 800 000

Location / Care offer

Health care centres


Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Vigo
Carretera de Clara Campoamor 341
36310 Vigo
+34 986 816 000

Location / Care offer

Health care centres


Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Ourense 
Rúa de Ramón Puga Noguerol, 52
32005 Ourense
+34 988 385 500

Location / Care offer

Health care centres

The Language Centre (CDL) organises Spanish as a foreign language course for exchange students at the beginning of each term. These courses are aimed at providing a basic knowledge of Spanish to facilitate academic and social integration of non-Spanish-speaking international students. The course is taught at all levels.

Note: Language level tests are held at the beginning of each term.


The course is of 60-hour duration and starts in September/October (for full-year and first term students) and in January/February (for second term students).


Completion of course entitles you to 4 ECTS credits. To obtain the certificate, one needs to attend at least 85% of the classes and pass a final exam.

It is important to underline that this course will not appear on the official transcript because it is not part of the bachelor's, master's or PhD programme.

The diploma must be collected from the Language Centre prior to leaving UVigo.


For additional information, please contact:

Language Centre
+34 986 812 250

The two official languages in Galicia at the university and in the administration are Galician and Spanish.

The Area of Linguistic Standardisation organises an introductory course of Galician Language and Culture for exchange students. It is a course with synchronous virtual classes, free and 40 hours long, validated with 1.3 ECTS and recognised with a diploma issued by the Universidade de Vigo.

Please note: this qualification will not appear on your official transcript of records because these studies are not included in the bachelor's, master's or doctoral programmes.


For more information, please contact:

Area of Linguistic Standardisation
+34 986 813 574

1.- EU citizens registration certificate. Immigration Office: Erasmus students who are nationals of the European Union and associated states.

Citizens of EU Member States, of the other states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and of the Swiss Confederation who intend to stay in Spain for more than three months are obliged to apply to the national police stations in the province where they intend to stay or to take up residence for registration in the Central Register of Foreign Nationals 
 . There you will be issued a registration certificate allowing you to prove your right of residence in Spanish territory. This is also mandatory for Erasmus students.

The documentation required for registration in the Foreign Central Register is the following:

  • Printed request in official model (two copies), duly covered and signed by the student.
  • Tuition of the public or private teaching center, recognized or funded by the competent administration.
  • Documentation proving to have public or private disease insurance. The Valid European Health Insurance Cards can be used throughout the period of residence. They enable its owner to receive the necessary health benefits from a medical point of view, taking into account the nature of the care and the planned duration.
  • Responsible declaration for possessing sufficient resources for oneself and the members of their family, during the period of residence in Spain.

In order to meet these requirements, it suffices to present the documentation that proves being part of an EU programme that encourages educational exchange for students and teachers.

Registration in the Central Register of Foreign Nationals is carried out at the National Police Stations of the province of residence of the student.

Once the documentation is delivered at the corresponding police station, the student will receive a temporary NIE number to make the payment of the corresponding rate (approximately 10 €) in any bank office.

After making the payment, it is necessary to return to the National Police Station where to be given the official NIE document. Then, the procedure will be considered completed.
Further information:

Ministry of Labour and Social Economy
Informative brochure

2.- Mobility to Spain of non-EU higher education students (ERASMUS) holders of a study authorisation issued by another Member State

Students who hold a valid authorisation issued by another Member State, in accordance with Directive (EU) 2016/801 and who participate in a European Union or multilateral programme, will have the right to enter and stay in Spain for a period up to 360 days, to carry out part of their studies at a Spanish higher education institution, prior communication to the Government Delegation or Subdelegation in the province in which the activity is to begin.

The communication will be made from the Spanish higher education institution prior to the student’s entry into Spanish territory or, at the latest, within one month of it. The dates of mobility and the expected duration shall be indicated. The communication will include:

  • A copy of the student's full passport or valid travel document.
  • A copy of the authorisation issued by the first Member State, covering the total mobility period.
  • Proof that the student is doing part of their studies within the framework of a mobility programme or an agreement between two or more higher education institutions.
  • Proof of admission by a Spanish higher education institution.

We will be needing the students to send us to the address the following documentation in PDF format upon arrival at the University of Vigo:

  • Passport (not necessary if the same document has already been provided with the application form).
  • A copy of the authorisation issued by the first Member State for the entire mobility period.
  • Address and telephone number in Spain (Vigo, Ourense or Pontevedra).

3.- Registration at the Spanish Immigration Office: non-EU students from universities of non-EU countries

In order to come and stay as a student in Spain, you must apply for a student visa at the diplomatic mission or at the Spanish consular office in the country or territory in which you reside.

The minimum documents required to apply for your student visa are:

  • National visa application form, in official form, in duplicate, duly completed and signed. That form can be downloaded free of charge on this website or obtained at diplomatic missions or consular offices of Spain abroad.
  • Complete and valid passport or traveling document, recognized as valid in Spain, and at least for the requested stay period.
  • Documentation proving that you have the necessary economic means for the period for the requested stay period and to return to the country of origin.
  • Documentation proving that you have health insurance.
  • Documentation proving that you were admitted by an education institution.

If the length of stay exceeds six months:

  • Medical certificate.
  • Certificate of criminal record issued by the authorities of the country of origin or country of residence for the last five years.
  • More information on the website of the Ministry of Labour and Social Economy.

On the website of the ministry you can check the contact details of the embassies and consulates of Spain.

Once in Spain, if your stay will be exceeding six months, you must personally request the foreigner's identity card within one month of entering the country.

To do this, you must go to the Police Station closest to your home and present:

  • The official form application for a foreigner's card.
  • Proof of payment of the card issue fee.
  • A recent photograph in colour, with a white background, passport size.

4.- Extension of the stay for studies

If the duration of your studies is longer than one year, you must request and obtain an extension of your authorization to stay in the police station closest to your home, if you reside in Vigo or Pontevedra. If your province is Ourense, you must request it at the Immigration Office (the addresses are at the bottom of this page).

Application period: during the 60 calendar days prior to the expiration date of validity gives authorization. It will also be possible to present within two 90 calendar days later, without prejutice to inicitate the corresponding penalizing procedure. 


  • Official application form in duplicate, duly filled and signed.
  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Documentation proving that you have the necessary economic means for the requested stay period and to return to the country of origin.
  • Documentation proving that you have health insurance.
  • Documentation proving that you meet the specific requirements of the activity for which your stay in Spain was authorized. If applicable, documentation proving that you have passed the exams and continue with your studies, research or training, non-work practices or volunteer service.

More information is available on the ministry's website. Once the authorization has been granted, you must apply (within one month) to issue of your new identity card at the police station or at the corresponding immigration office.

Immigration Offices

Campus de Vigo
Avenida de Cánovas del Castillo, 18
36202 Vigo (Pontevedra)
Plano de localización

Campus de Pontevedra
Rúa de Michelena, 28
36002 Pontevedra
Plano de localización

Campus de Ourense
Rúa do Parque San Lázaro, 1
32003 Ourense
Plano de localización


Police Stations (Immigration)

Campus de Vigo
Rúa de Álvaro Cunqueiro, 6
36211 Vigo (Pontevedra)

Campus de Pontevedra
Rúa d Joaquín Costa, 17
36001 Pontevedra

Campus de Ourense
Rúa de Mestre Vide, s/n
32004 Ourense

Warning: the Universidade de Vigo is not responsible for any possible modifications that may occur in Spanish legislation in this regard, once this information has been published. Therefore, it is recommended that students duly research which are their duties related to their residence in Spain, either at the consulates before their arrival, or at the Immigration Office, once in Spanish territory.

Interesting links: 

The University Card is the document that identifies all members of the university community. It allows access to various services: Book loans from libraries or access to restricted-use facilities. 

University smart Card

Further information:

​​​International Relations Office
Edificio Miralles
As Lagoas, Marcosende
36310 Vigo 
+34 986 811 947

Instagram ​​​Linkedin ​​​​​