Reputation and impact
Accountability to society should be a basic activity of any public administration, as society has the right to know and scrutinise these activities. Likewise, the presence and prestige of the Universidade de Vigo, both nationally and internationally, are basic pillars for attracting talent, research, students and even resources that help to maintain the highest quality in its management, teaching and research in order to achieve its objectives for the society to which it belongs.
At the Universidade de Vigo we are aware of the importance of accountability and we have been participating in the most relevant national and international higher education rankings for several years. The different rankings value from research capacity, to teaching, citation, scientific production, academic articles, knowledge transfer or registered patents.
Among the most outstanding rankings in the world category we have the Shanghai ranking, the Times Higher Education (THE) or the Green Metric. The Universidade de Vigo's position in these rankings is as follows:
- In the Academic Ranking of Word Universities 2020 edition of the Shanghai ranking, the Universidade de Vigo returns to the group of the 501-600 best universities in the world. This ranking also makes a classification by subject. In this edition, our university has excellent results in the following areas: Food Sciences and Technologies, with a position in the 51-75 group; in Oceanography, in the 101-150 group; in telecommunications, civil engineering, tourism, ecology, atmospheric sciences and in electronic and electrical engineering, in which it is in the 201-300 group.
- In the Times Young University Ranking 2021 our position in the global category is in the 251-300 group.
- In the THE University Impact, which aims to measure the impact of universities on society based on the success of institutions to meet the goals of the 2030 Agenda, in its 2021 edition, 1,118 universities from about 94 countries participated. UVigo is in the group 201-300 worldwide, and reaches 22nd place in its overall score in Spain.
- In the QS World University Rankings 2022 edition, the UVigo is in the group 1.01-1200 of the 1000 best universities in the world.
- In the Green Metric, which measures universities for their environmental sustainability, UVigo ranks 342nd worldwide and 21st in Spain with a total score of 6,475 points. The highest score is in the section on waste with a score of 1,275. The second highest score obtained, with 1,250 points, is for energy and climate change.
In the transparency portal there is a section on rankings, awards and distinctions where news related to these issues are collected. You can also view reports on the university's position in the different rankings.
On the other hand, the Universidade de Vigo has been committed to transparency and accountability for years, so we publish information on the results of the institution's activities on our website. As a result of our commitment and the duties included in both state and regional regulations, as well as in internal regulations, our university publishes, maintains and offers the most important updated information related to the most important data, economic, academic, research indicators, etc., which are important to publicise our activity.